The Boomer's Guide to Divorce :
And a New Life
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Part One: When Things Fall Apart
Chapter 1: What Happened?
- The Divorce Culture
- The Extra-Strength Marriage
- Why Me?
- The Good Divorce
Chapter 2: Danger Signs Ahead
- Private Eyes & Cyber Snooping
- Financial Prophylactics
Chapter 3: 1-800-Lawyer
- Fasten Your Seat Belts
- Decision Time
Chapter 4: Keeping It Together
- Last Ditch Efforts
- Forgive and Forget?
Chapter 5: Calling it Quits
- How to Tell the Spouse
- If You're the Last to Know
- Dealing with Kids, Parents, Friends, and Neighbors
Chapter 6: Hitting the Road?
- To Leave or not to leave
- Pet Sounds?
- Paying the Way
- Minding Your Manners
Chapter 7: Why Can't We Be Friends?
- Giving Peace a Chance: ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution)
- To Mediate, Arbitrate, or Collaborate, That is the Question
- Making War, not Peace-the Decision to Litigate
Chapter 8: Legally Separating
- Marital Earthquakes---a/k/a "Grounds and Faults"
- Staying "Married" Apart
Chapter 9: Ex Marks the Spot
- Cutting the Ties That Bind
- Going Solo (or with a lawyer)
- Helping Yourself
Chapter 10: Annulment
- What Marriage?
- The Kerry/Kennedy Syndrome
- Get the Get
Chapter 11: Can I Sue the @#$%*&^!?
Part Two: It's All Over Now
- The Scorned Spouse's Revenge
- The Tort Against the Taker
Chapter 12: Divorce, American-Style
- Yours, Mine, and Ours:
- Ownership is not 9/10s of the law
- What's at Stake
Chapter 13: The Magical Marital Property Tour
- East vs. West-Why Location matters
- Kitchen Sinks and Other Stuff
Chapter 14: Strange Assets
- Employment and Military Benefits
- Goodwill: for Businesses, Professionals, and Celebrities
Chapter 15: Finders Keepers
- Where's it At?
- It's the Internet, Silly
- Private Eyes: Part Two
Chapter 16: "Loan" is just a 4-Letter Word
- Indian Giving
- Other Special Presents
Chapter 17: It Comes Down to Dollars
- The Price is Right
- The Wonderful World of Accountants
- Don't Try This At Home
Chapter 18: Wasted?
- Where Did the All the Money Go, Long Time Passing?
- Bankruptcy-Fix or Fiasco?
Chapter 19: Last Call: Divvying the Things
- Possessions: One for You, Two for Me
- Home Sweet Home: Who keeps the Digs?
Chapter 20: The Tax Man Cometh…Long after Divorce
Part Three: Family Matters: (Alimony, Maintenance, and More)
- Guilty or Innocent?
- IRS to the Rescue-No Kidding!
Chapter 21: The Changing Tides
- Best Supporting Roles
- What's My Worth in the Market?
- What's up Doc?
- Time is Money
Chapter 22: Setting the Sum
- The Gold Standard (of Living)
- Show Me ALL the Money!
Chapter 23: Till Death Does He Pay?
- Not All Good Things Must End
- Your Social Security Blanket
Chapter 24: Kids Still Count, Maybe
- My Son the Doctor (my Daughter the Lawyer),
- How Long Do You Foot Their Bills
Chapter 25: To Have and to Parent
- Even Older Offspring Get the Blues
- The Sins of the Father and Mother
- All You Need is (Unconditional) Love
Chapter 26: Navigating the Ritual Minefields of Life
- Your Kid's White Wedding
- Births, Baptisms, Bar Mitzvah's and Burials-What do you do?
- Maintaining Ex Relations -Could You, Should you?
Chapter 27: The ART (Artificial Reproductive Technology) of Divorce
- Sex, Lies, and Surrogacy
- Left Over Eggs and Sperm
Chapter 28: Supporting Your Kids' Kids?
Part Four: Untying the Knot: Tying Up Lose Ends
- Why, Tell me Why Am I?
- Grandparents In the Driver's Seat
Chapter 29: It's All in the Details
- The Name Game
- Get Your Garnishment On?
- Your Move
- The Ex's Move
Chapter 30: The Final Acts
- Outliving the Ex
- The Almighty QDRO
- The QMESO, huh?
Chapter 31: Taking Your Monetary Temperature
Part Five: Starting Over -Forever Young
- Credit Reporting
- Credit Repairing
- Planning Your Financial Future
- Taxing Changes
- A (New) Will to Live
- Capital Improvements
Chapter 32: Healing Waters
- Grief, Uncertainty, and Growth
- I Will Survive
- Set Priorities
- Have Patience and a Positive Mantra
- The Doors of Perception are Yours
- Let's Get Meta/Physical
- Take Stock of Yourself
Chapter 33: The Dating Game
- Searching, Seeking, Hoping
- Careful of that New Flame after the Fire
- Should That Old Acquaintance Be Forgot?
Chapter 34: Oops, I Did It Again…
- Remarrying & Having That Talk with your Adult Kids
- Protecting a Few Of Your Favorite Things
- Checklists for Cohabiting Couples
Chapter 35: Celebrate Transcendence
- The Only Constant Is Change-Be Flexible
- "Be Here Now"
- The Best Is Yet to Come-Always
Author note: some of the book's final chapter names and headings vary from what you see here due to the editing process. Marlene Browne, May, 2004.
The Boomer's Guide to Divorce: And a New Life
© 2004-2015. Marlene M. Browne. All Rights Reserved.